A family tree Template or Pedigree Chart Template is also known as a pedigree chart Free Download is the graphical/visual representation of a person’s ancestry and bloodline. It highlights the background of a person and from which race he/she belongs, tracing the family lineage.
The Editable family tree or a pedigree chart is usually a diagram most likely in the form of a tree. The tree-like structure usually starts with a single person as a root. These roots are then connected with lines called branches which then join the leaves in the form of boxes just like a real tree. Each of these boxes represents a family member with some information about them like their birth, marriage, and death anniversaries.
At the bottom of a family tree, the youngest generation is placed, and at the topmost root, the oldest ones.
Importance of a family tree chart Template:
Keeping a record of your family tree chart helps in tracking all those people, places, and incidents that make your family history. This compiled information can be then shared with anyone easily.
Reasons for creating your own pedigree chart:
Interested to know your ancestry, what is the origin of your family and where does it come from? If questions like these trouble your peace, you should create your family tree diagram.
Following are some of the main reasons to create, maintain and update your lineage:
- Provides useful insight about your genealogy: keeping a genealogy chart helps in providing insight into who you are and from where do your ancestors come from. Simply speaking, it connects one’s heritage.
- Keeps a record of family health: Doctors normally advise their patients to keep a track of their family tree as some diseases/ disorders are transferred from one generation to another. Some common disorders include heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, certain cancers, type 2 diabetes, etc. These disorders are usually influenced by a combination of genetic mutations, social and environmental conditions. With family health records, doctors can provide better consultations and early diagnostics of diseases.
- Helps in preserving family culture and tradition: with the help of a pedigree chart, one knows his origins. He knows where his ancestors belong, what was their lifestyle, and how did they evolve. It also tells about the family culture/or tradition if any.
- Information sharing is made easy: information related to your ancestors is compiled and comprehensively presented in a family chart. Therefore, this makes it easier to share it with anyone.
- Helps in tracking distant family: as the family tree is a record of one’s ancestors, we can with its help track our distant aunts, uncles, and cousins. In this way, it connects people.
- Healthy activity: it is a positive approach and healthy activity to involve in knowing who you are and from where you belong. This way the more we learn about ourselves, the better we understand ourselves.
- Editable Family Tree Templates: We have all Kind of Editable family tree templates For Free Download with Google Docs and word File,
Type of family tree charts:
Some of the typical types of family tree charts are listed below:
● Ancestor chart: this type shows the person’s ancestors wanting to know his lineage leading up to his grandparents and forefathers etc.
● Descendents chart: this type follows the descent structure, showing on top the forefathers and their children.
● Sandglass chart: it’s the combination of both ancestry and descendant charts as in the middle it displays the proband with ancestors above and children below.
● Five generation ancestor family tree: clear with its name, this type displays your ancestral family up to 5 generations.
● Adoptive family tree chart: this type highlights information about a person’s biological and adoptive family.
There are some other types also like Stepfamily tree, Biographical family tree, family group sheet, relationship chart, etc.
Questions to know before creating a family tree chart:
Before you start creating your family tree or pedigree diagram, you must know the answers to the following questions so that you can have a smooth start:
- In which way do you want to make the tree chart? It can be bottom to top, top to bottom, or in a horizontal direction.
- How much information do you already have?
- How many generations do you want to cover in the chart?
- Does the family information already exist or has someone already kept a track of your lineage? If so, can they share it with you to get a solid starting point?
- How much information do you want to incorporate about each member of the family present on the leave? Generally, information about birth, marriage, and death are added only but it depends upon you to add or subtract some other details.
- Is the information you have gathered authentic?
- Do you have pictures of your family members and ancestors? Do you want to add them this the chart?
- Is there any useful resource to help you in conducting this research on your genealogy?
Steps of creating a family tree chart:
Following are the 4 basic steps of creating a family tree diagram:
- Collect information: the foremost step, to begin with, is the collection of information regarding your family. You can write down whatever information you have, ask your relatives and close acquaintances for further details. To verify the accuracy of your research you can countercheck with the help of documents, old newspapers, libraries, genealogy and census records, and land deeds. You can find old photographs to attach to the chart you are creating.
- Draft initial tree chart: with all the information gathered, you can then start compiling them to draw an initial draft of the tree chart. After deciding whether to begin the chart from youngest to oldest or vice versa, you can either draw it using a paper pen or use any online tool.
- Add information: after finalizing the draft and the layout of your pedigree chart, start incorporating information into it. You can add photographs, birth, marriage and death dates, etc in the form of information. One thing to keep in mind, the simpler the information the better it is. Moreover, refrain from adding family secrets.
- Share your genealogy: once you are done adding information your family tree chart is ready to be shared among family and friends.